Prep Time: 10 minutes / Cook Time: 55 minutes
- 3 medium overripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 70ml olive oil or vegetable oil
- 80ml honey
- 80ml low-fat plain yoghurt (Fage 0% fat free Greek yoghurt is best)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Lemon zest (1 whole unwaxed lemon)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 150g stoneground whole wheat flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 50g pecan nuts
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Either grease a baking tin (loaf tin) with olive oil or line it with baking paper.
- Peel the bananas and then mash them in a large mixing bowl until fairly smooth (easy to do with a fork).
- Grate the lemon rind to make lemon zest.
- Then add the eggs, olive oil, honey, yoghurt, vanilla extract, lemon zest and lemon juice and stir until everything is smoothly combined.
- Next sift in the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and mix it all up.
- Then roughly chop up the pecan nuts, add them into the mix, and stir gently until combined.
- Then pour the batter into your prepped baking tin.
- Optional: you can place thin slices of banana on top of the batter and sprinkle with chia seeds for a more aesthetic or photogenic loaf of banana bread.
- Place the tin in the preheated oven and bake the banana bread for 50 – 55 minutes.
- Once ready, leave the loaf to cool completely in the baking tin before turning it out onto a plate and slicing.
- Suggestion: it tastes great when toasted and slathered with peanut butter and honey.